Thursday, July 18, 2013

Divorce: The truth is, it happens, a lot.

Divorce is not my favorite subject but I think it needs to be something that I learn about a little more, considering that the statistics show that almost half of all marriages will end in divorce. That's a true fact right there. My book "Successful Marriages and Families," says that the divorce rate today is about 40-50% of marriages and about 60% of all remarriages.

That number is a little high for my comfort. Getting married is a beautiful thing. It's one of the best decisions that I have ever made but I'll tell you what, that number scares me. I'm sure there have been couples who have said "I will not be a statistic," but then find themselves in the middle of a divorce. No one goes into a marriage thinking it will end in divorce. We just need to be reminded that the truth is, it happens, a lot.

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I thought well hey, we have got to have a better divorce statistic in our church, but ladies and gents, it's not too much better. The book mentioned above also states, "25 to 30 percent of Latter-Day Saint couples who regularly attend church experience a divorce." (Pg. 79)

My first thought about these numbers, "No way!." My second thought, "Well, maybe." I'm certainly not posting about how divorce is wrong. I think that divorce is totally a decision between a couple and God, something that some people just won't understand. I do, however, think that we need to be aware of this number and strive to work on our marriages a little harder.

Going into my marriage, I know that this statistic has made me want to try a little harder to safeguard my marriage. We hear about ways to improve our marriage (Oh, those Pinterest ideas) and we hear advice from our parents, friends, and siblings. But my question for you is,

What are you doing to safeguard your marriage from this statistic?

Really though. Is it on your list of priorities? What are you doing to safeguard it? Write it down. Look at your marriage and find things that you are doing right now to strengthen it. I guarantee there are some things that you're doing to help your marriage without even thinking about it.

Now take those things, and magnify them. If you wrote down that you compliment your husband, then compliment him as much as you can! Put in the effort. If you wrote down that you communicate well, then I challenge you to communicate BETTER. You can do it, you really can.

I challenge you to find ways to work on your marriage. I could go over a million different ways that we can improve, strengthen, enlighten, and so much more for our marriages. I'm hoping that my ideas expressed will not only make someone aware but also help them learn to bring light into their marriage.

One thought for you wonderful, married people, you're not alone in your struggles. In many ways, people are going through the same things you are. Your marriage is important to you, your children, and especially your spouse. If divorce is a thought right now, I pray that you consider this with lots of personal prayer and counsel with your spouse -- God will direct your path.



Source: Successful Marriages and Families: Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives
             (Chapter 8) 





No comments:

Post a Comment