Saturday, July 20, 2013

Quality Family Time

I remember when I first heard of quality time. It was while reading "The Five Love Languages," by Gary Chapman. It turns out that one of my largest 'love languages' was quality time. What? Like really? Couldn't I have something a little more simple like 'giving gifts' or 'physical touch?? My sweet husband, always trying to give me that quality time I want/need when all he needs is a big hug or a quick smooch!

After reading a little more about quality time, I have come to realize how important it is in all aspects of our lives. Not only do I need quality time with my husband to feel his love but our children really need that quality time with their parents to develop a happy, stable life.

Think of a time when you, as a child, felt most loved by your parent.

What were you doing? Where were you at? Why do you remember it so well?

After I first asked myself that question, my thoughts turn to car rides with my mom. My mom is the best talker, literally, she can make a conversation with the most random person you can find. When we're in the car together, there's no reins! She talks and talks, and I love it! My first semester of college my mom drove with me from California to Idaho. I think we learned more about each other in those 16 hours than we had in a couple years prior to that.

I wouldn't trade those 16 hours for anything.

Our children need us to spend time with them. Not just by taking them to a movie or just getting an ice cream cone through the drive through. Sit down with your kids. Even though you may be busy, give them your time. Those hours and eventually years spent on quality time will be more than worth it when you see how much closer it brings you together.

Not only do we need quality time between a parent and a child but we also need it as a whole family. Big family vacations may be out of the question because they're out of your budget but why not make a family 'vacation' out of going to a nearby location with fun activities?
 
Spend time outside. Nature is a proven stress-reducer. "Stress-reducing contact with nature can influence mental and social well being." (Pg. 228)

• Go on a hike
• Camp
• Go for a walk/bike ride
• Have a picnic

Some memories I have spending quality time with my family is playing games. We are quite the competitive family and we really enjoy laughing and learning. I learned to love my siblings for who they are by playing those games. I know that playing games is going to be something I want to do with my family all the time.


As we spend time together with our family, we provide our children with an escape from the world. The world is rough today. Our children are faced with problems that we've never had to experience. Understand that your family, your home, is your child's escape. Our quality time with them has the ability to calm each other down and lift each other up. I know that's something that I want my family to share.

Source: Successful Marriages and Families (Chapter 22)


No comments:

Post a Comment